Underwood Public School
The Underwood Elementary School and Underwood High School have met the Annual Yearly Progress requirements for 13 years in a row, 2003 - 2013; which is from the beginning of No Child Left Behind. To meet AYP, our school have met the requirement for the number of students receiving proficient and/or advanced scores on the Reading and Math tests in the North Dakota State Assessment.
ACADEMIC OPPORTUNITIES & SERVICES
- Pre-School for 3-5 years old
- Average class size is 15 students per grade
- Title I (K-8)
- Special education instruction: ID, LD, Section 504, and Speech (Pre-K - 12)
- McLean County Spelling Bee - grades 1 - 8
- Accelerated Reader Program - grades 1 - 11
- High Honor / Honor Roll - grades 4 - 12
- Math Track Meet - grades 5 - 8
- Academic Olympic Team - grades 7 - 12
- McLean County Masonic Honors - grades 9 - 12
- National Honor Society - grades 10 - 12
- ACT Scores are comparable to ND ACT scores
- Technology Team - grades 9 - 12 *1st place 12 out of 15 years at MSU Tech Day
- Dual Credit courses offered - grade 12
- Job Shadowing Experience - grade 12
- Graduation Rate is 95+%
- Participates in the Great Western ITC Cooperative, and Missouri River Educational Cooperative.
AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAMS
- Kids Club - grades K - 6
- After School Homework Help - grades K -12
- 4-H - grades K - 12
- Self Defense - grades 1 - Adult
- Hunter Safety - grade 5+
- Just for Kix Dance - Pre-school - grade 7
- Girls and Boys Basketball - 1 - 6
- Girls Volleyball - grades 4 - 6
- Boys Football - grades 5 & 6
- 7 - 12 Girls Volleyball, Basketball, *Track, *Golf, and *Softball.
- 7 - 12 Boys: Football, Basketball, *Track, *Golf, and *Baseball.
- Co-op with Turtle Lake-Mercer-McClusky
- Close-Up - grades 10 - 12
- Dance Team - grades 7 - 12
- Drama - grades 7 - 12
- Entrepreneur - grades 9 - 12
- Football Cheerleading - grades 7 - 12
- German Club - grades 9 - 12
- Music: Concert & Pep Band, Choir - grades 7 - 12
- Speech - grades 7 - 12
- Student Council - grades 4 - 12
- Web Design - students produce school's website
- Yearbook - grades 11 - 12
- Outside locks on all doors
- Office staff approves entry into building during school hours
- 32 security cameras recording activity throughout the building
- Lock-down and evacuation procedure in place and continually updated
- Alert system in place for instant parent contact in case of schedule changes or emergencies
- Power School student information system used by staff, parents, and students
- IPad Mini Lab in the Kindergarten & 1st Grade.
- iPad Mobile Lab in the elementary
- Laptops in each elementary classroom
- Students in grades 7 - 12 are issued their own Netbook for school use
- Smart Board technology in the classrooms
- Majority of classrooms equipped with a sound amplification system
- 20-unit laptop media center in the school library
- Each teacher/staff member is issued a laptop
- High speed wireless internet throughout the building
- Three Interactive TV studios with four Polycom video conferencing units
Unique Programs Offered at Underwood
The Underwood School Library encourages and motivates students in grades 1-11 to read using this program. It is a computer-based motivational program that tests students on the basic facts and events of the book. When students meet their goals, they are awarded with fun activities at school, prizes from our local businesses, and various treats provided by the Comet Club.
The entrepreneur class is offered to students in grades 9 through 12. One project for the class is to write their own business plan for a business of their interest. These students then 'create' that business and enter it into an entrepreneur expo that is held in Underwood. Their competition is other students from around the county. Winners continue on to present at the state "Marketplace for Kids" and at Marketplace. Underwood has received notoriety for being the "Center of North Dakota Entrepreneurs" as observed by personnel from the state Marketplace program.
Senior Mentoring Program
Seniors participate in a grades 1-2 mentoring program throughout the year. They provide a "big brother or big sister" atmosphere for the young students.
Students in grade 9 participate in an assignment of their choice to organize and complete a worthwhile community project.
Elementary Physical Education Program
This program is prefaced by the theme "Fun and Fitness for Everyone." Its goal is to help develop healthy, active lifestyles for all students throughout their lives. They participate in programs such as "The Feeling Good Mileage Club," "Hoops for Heart," and "Jump Rope for Heart".
Membership of this club is comprised of all parents of Underwood Public School students and is open to any other adults interested in promoting activities in school. It is run by a Board of Directors. The Comet Club promotes school spirit, recognizes achievement in all activities and helps provide funding for numerous activities and projects including scholarship donations, library donations, yearbook, music and athletics.
Underwood Senior High Curriculum.
Grades 1 - 12
Click on link above to view the Underwood Public School Website